Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Weird feelings

I'm feeling kind of weird today. My ex-brother in law, Steve, passed away this morning. Almost a month ago he was sent to the hospital. My mom called me and was pretty sure he would pass away that day. He recovered a little bit, but was under Hospice care since then. Well this morning he passed on.
My sister and Steve were divorced awhile back. I haven't seen him in at least 5 years. He wasn't a good husband or dad to my niece Sarah. You see, 18 years ago today he chose to drink and drive and wrecked his van so badly that he was brained dead and in acoma for 6 weeks. He survived that, but was never OK after that. He tried to get better for awhile, but was never able to hold down a job. In fact he got to the point where he wouldn't even get out of bed. My sister was pregnant when the wreck happened, so Sarah never knew her dad as a "whole" man.
The reason I'm feeling so weird today is that I'm really sad for my niece. She's so precious to me and she's hurting today. Steve was never a "good" dad, but he was still her dad. Sarah is VERY close to her dad's mom (grandma), and Grandma is really struggling. On the other hand of being sad, I'm not sad at all the Steve has passed. He just wasn't a very nice guy at the end of his marriage to my sister.
There are a few things that happened that did show me that God is totally in control. First, Sarah is not in school right now. She'll start college classes next week. Also, her half brother Jason has come back into the picture so to speak. When Steve went into the hospital Jason came to visit. I think it was good for him and for Sarah to be able to reconnect. Another amazing thing was the Grandma woke up about 1 am this morning and realized she wasn't going to be able to fall back to sleep. She started to pray. At 2am she got the phone call that her son had passed. She said that God was preparing her for this. I know God was in all the details today, but it just still seems weird.

1 comment:

GOTG said...

Just wanted you to know we're thinking of you today - and your family too.
HUGS...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am happily married with two wonderful daughters! I have two part time jobs - Children's Director at Second Baptist Church AND Preschool teacher at the Methodist Day School. I also am a FULL TIME mom! I love it all!